Monday, May 15, 2006

The Colors, Dude... The Colors...

I have discovered an interesting fact today; you can crash your computer by simply attempting to playback an uncorrupted .avi file--a format theoretically supported by my player, the latest version of MPC, and one for which I just downloaded a fresh batch of up-to-date codecs a month or two ago. WTF?

On the upside, the crash was sort of pretty. After thirty secods of darkness, I got an error message, then things came back; in sixteen-color mode. It was like 1992 all over again, except that Kurt Cobain was dead and a stupider scion of the Bush family was in power. I tried playing a different video file; the result was something between looking into an infrared scope and a LSD trip. Groovy.

The .avi file in question was the first episode of Ju-Oh-Sei, which I only downloaded because the plot bore a distinct similarity to the first Cordwainer Smith story I ever read. I suspect the resemblance will not withstand further exposure, but after this I am actually somewhat more determined to see the damn thing.